Monday, October 24, 2022

Quick range day before work

So tomorrow it will be time for me to fly out again, catch a nap at the Weed Palace and psych myself up for heading back to work. Good tour off, busy tour off, expensive tour off. Time to go stick my head in the cargo tanks and taste the color 7 for a bit. So if you follow my on Instagram, which is the only social media I use (to look at boobs, guns and boats), yesterday we had a Very Special Episode. Inaproppriately Hot Foreign Wife for the first time went with me to the gun range. This was VERY cool for me. I've known it was coming, and we've been doing a lot of talking through the 4 rules, safe and responsible handling, etc, etc, but there is just nothing so good at cementing an interest in guns as just shooting guns.
My son is also an enthusiastic shooter, so it was a nice family day, and we got sushi afterwards. And I got the sushi farts after afterwards, so it wasn't perfect, but it was good. ...and now she wants a gun for Christmas. Shooting a rifle for the first time was a real treat to watch.
"Oooohhhh. I like dat." Being a giant ham, I did have to stop for photos a fair bit. You can see the smile on her face, and it stayed there a fair bit. I gave her one of my AR-15's to shoot, and she took to it well, just plinking at paper targets at 50 feet. Holy hell, 5.56 is still expensive AF. the 9mm we were shooting was my oldest stuff at about 6-7 years old, so it was good to get it gone, and the replacement I bought was at a fair price. It's been a good 2 weeks. Lots of living packed into a short time.

4 comments:

Rob said...

My dad worked on tankers from when he was 16 (before WW2), he died in '74 (at 52) of brain tumors.
My mom said she thought it was environmental because he had passed out in those enclosed spaces more then once.
Your comment on tasting the color 7 brought that thought out

You strike me as very sensible person, one who takes the safety stuff seriously.

Paul, Dammit! said...

Rob, I'm joking here, but yes, I've heard the horror stories of the bad old days, especially the sketchy stuff on the old tankers, like inflating a raft in cargo tank and paddling over to fix a broken reach rod, stuff like that. I have been vaped out before, but I've never passed out from it, and I don't work where I can't breathe clean air. We have respirators to hand and are required to wear sulfur meters on watch, and I'm cool with using them. More, I avoid benzene-containing cargoes pretty religiously. I tend to work with black oil, which is lower in VOC's, relatively speaking, and while it stinks to high heaven, unlike gasoline, I don't get a blazing headache when I am around it.


Rick T said...

I hope she was firing the pistol from a teacup grip (left hand under the mag well, thumbs aligned) and not the one in the picture. I found out the hard way the wrist lock means your left thumb knuckle is under the slide and got bitten...

Will said...

Rick T:

Females, due to their smaller hand and wrist sizes, are more likely to have enough clearance to avoid slide bite. It still is not a recommended hand position, as it's main use is to help support the weight of the gun, but doesn't do much to control recoil, as it only has one wrist working on muzzle rise.

BTW, your teacup grip is actually worse, as the hand under the gun usually loses touch with the gun when it's recoiling. Wrapping the support hand around the firing hand works much better for control.