Saturday, October 29, 2022

Falling into routine

 It's all quiet aboard here on the HQ.  We have a couple of small cargo parcels fixed for the weekend for multiple charterers, so we're running back and forth between fuel terminals and ships and back again, although we're running to different places each time. The pedigree of some of these jobs is making my head ache- we're loading oil for a 3rd party charterer who bought the oil from an oil major who bought the oil from another oil major. I'm assuming everyone gets paid, so this serves as a reminder to me that I don't know squat about the office side of moving oil.  I just turn wrenches and valves and do sailor shit. Still, if all goes well, we'll have been pretty occupied during this whole thing and while we're moving oil we're earning. 

 Also, while we're moving oil my own office folks aren't  going to gank me off here and put me on board an unhygienic POS moving oil that shouldn't be transported without being under a blanket of IG. 

     Just before getting relieved on my last voyage I was pulled off the HQ to go aboard a gasoline barge that had been laid up for a time. Unfortunately, whoever laid up the barge failed to perform any basic cleaning, and so I arrived aboard with no linens or towels and no means to clean them, and so I had to sleep fully clothed with a hooded sweatshirt covering my head. I got a fuckin' rash out of it so at some point I guess my shirt must have ridden up. There are some disgusting motherfuckers who work on the water. I wouldn't doubt but that someone at one point wasn't using linens on the God-damned bed. I mean, there were a couple of ancient pillows, a diseased stained yellow color, and quite crusty and about 1/2 inch thick, yet they each weighed about 6lbs. I had fantasies about throwing hot grease on whoever gave me that rash. 


 The whole IG thing is a personal beef of mine. Not the time or place. 

         Still, it's a couple of weeks later now and the quiet and peace is welcome. It makes me appreciate being on the HQ a little more. 



 

2 comments:

Tsgt Joe said...

IG? inert gas?

Paul, Dammit! said...

Yes, exactly. I'm a huge fan.