Saturday, October 8, 2022

Aging like fresh milk

 So I got a vist from my old 2nd man, RayRay, tonight. Ray is rafted alongside of us here at the HQ, out ta' anchor here in the 3rd world seaport where we're currently working (New York). 


 RayRay was my first subordinate here, almost 15 years ago. We worked together for several years at different times as he moved about the fleet and worked his way up the ladder. 


   It was amusing to sit there in my galley, compare our aches and pains, his gray hair, and mine that falls out before it can change color, like the live oaks in my yard at home. Talking of the follies of marriage, between two happily married men. The baby whose birth he had to go home for is a teenager. I see Ray 2-3 times a year, but seeing him is usually a matter of 5 minutes, or a wave from 300 feet away from one dock to another at a fuel terminal.  We hadn't sat down to talk for 4-5 years and tonight we had 2+ hours to catch up.  It was a good night. 




No comments: