With thanks to the Misunderstood mariner for this excellent piece again: Every year or so I repost this for all the non-mariners and armchair admirals out there who want to experience the dramatic, sexy life of a mariner.
- Sleep on the shelf in your closet. Replace the closet door with a curtain. Six hours after you go to sleep, have your spouse whip open the curtain, shine a flashlight in your eyes, and mumble "sorry, wrong rack."
- Renovate your bathroom. Build a wall across the middle of your bathtub and move the shower head down to chest level. When you take showers, make sure you shut off the water while soaping up.
- Every time there's a thunderstorm, go sit in a wobbly rocking chair and rock as hard as you can until you're nauseous.
- Put lube oil in your humidifier instead of water and set it to "High."
- Leave lawnmower running in your living room six hours a day for proper noise level.
- Have the paperboy give you a haircut.
- Once a week blow compressed air up through your chimney, making sure the wind carries the soot across and onto your neighbor's house. Laugh at him when he curses you.
- Buy a trash compactor and only use it once a week. Store up garbage in the other side of your bathtub.
- Wake up every night at midnight and have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on stale bread, if anything. (Optional: Canned ravioli or cold soup.)
- Make up your family menu a week ahead of time without looking in your food cabinets or refrigerator.
- Set your alarm clock to go off at random times during the night. When it goes off, jump out of bed and get dressed as fast as you can, then run out into your yard and break out the garden hose.
- Once a month take every major appliance completely apart and then put them back together.
- Use 18 scoops of coffee per pot and allow it to sit for 5 or 6 hours before drinking.
- Invite at least 85 people you don't really like to come and visit for a couple of months.
- Have a fluorescent lamp installed on the bottom of your coffee table and lie under it to read books.
- Raise the thresholds and lower the top sills on your front and back doors so that you either trip over the threshold or hit your head on the sill every time you pass through one of them.
- Lockwire the lugnuts on your car.
- When making cakes, prop up one side of the pan while it is baking. Then spread icing really thick on one side to level off the top.
- Every so often, throw your cat into the swimming pool, shout "Man overboard, ship recovery!", run into the kitchen and sweep all the pots/pans/dishes off of the counter onto the floor, then yell at your spouse for not having the place "stowed for sea."
- Put on the headphones from your stereo (don't plug them in). Go and stand in front of your stove. Say (to nobody in particular) "Stove manned and ready." Stand there for 3 or 4 minutes. Say (once again to nobody in particular) "Stove secured." Roll up the headphone cord and put them away.
OMG that's so awesome!
Sometimes I think I miss shipping out, then I think of shit like this.
Huh, that explains #13. When I was a wee lad, freshly minted as an Engineer at Three Letter Intelligence Agency, there were a bunch of old Navy guys in the office.
The coffee was *exactly* like that.
When I read this I swear I could smell asphalt ha-ha,I saved this article so the next time I miss being out there I'll read and remember all the long hot/cold days pumping and loading.
That list is not so bad if your off time is in a certain country....
I don't care what you say, I am damned jealous anyway.
Post a Comment