Tuesday, June 6, 2023

it's raining lunch, sea stories and a nice view while waiting for the A.M. B.M.

Screw change is tomorrow, which means it's halfway day for yours truly.  2 weeks to go. E is headed home, B is coming on to relieve him. 

    This morning I did something I haven't done in a long, long time. I just sat outside and looked at the ocean while I caffeinated and got myself psyched up for the day. Pretty much the best part of my jobs on boats have always been the view. Strange that it's been so long that I remembered to appreciate it. It was nice to spend the time between wake up cup and the start of the morning seat that sets the tone of the day. 


 Anyways, crew change is tomorrow, and while I am not going anywhere just yet, E is going home and B is relieving him in the morning, and we've got a load of fuel oil to deliver to a cruise ship tomorrow. Should be an interesting day. It's been a dog's age since I bunkered a cruise ship. It's not a Carnival cruise lines ship, thank God, because they're floating trailer parks. Fuckers like to throw food and trash at us while we're on deck.  I'd been temped to bring the rocket line launcher with me more than once. 

     The line launcher is a rocket charge packed in a can. You screw on a nerf mini-football on the end, and fire the gun, and it'll send 1/2 mile of flag line out into the air. It packs a fairly decent kick. 

 The mini football is a humane addition. The navy just used a 45/70 cartridge with a steel slug and a d-ring. If someone happened to be in the line of fire, they'd be skewered. Every accident report I've seen has always been headshots with those things. Looked like someone grenade-tossed a jar of Ragu on the bulkhead. 



 Anyways, cruise ship tomorrow, low probability of it raining sammich fixins. Namaste. 


         In talking sea stories the other day with some friends, I again pulled out the gem of my father's, the time he was involved in accidentally kidnapping the wealthiest man in the world while blackout drunk. 


https://bigironbegfish.blogspot.com/2010/10/sea-stories-part-1.html


 I have some fun sea stories, but nothing like what my father had. 


2 comments:

Dad said...

Reminds me of the stories told by ADM Daniel Gallery.

Bear Claw Chris Lapp said...

Interesting life, you lead there, Paul