Thursday, June 8, 2023

The air is ass here and looking ahead

 So the big news here is that Canada's not very good at fighting forest fires.  New York got slowed down considerable-like yesterday when the smoke from said Canay-jian forest fires made the dirty air here in NY even worse than normal. 


 Seriously, when the wind stops blowing, finally, in May/June in the NY waterfront, the air quality goes in the toilet because NY is a gross, nasty place. June-November, we'll be coughing and hawking up big green and brown lung clams every few hours. But yesterday was pretty exceptional. Visibility was down under a mile. The sky was yellow. Never saw the like before. The container terminals were all closed because of the smoke. And it definitely smelled like a wood fire outside. Eyes were burning, coughing a bit, etc etc. 

   I have worked in dirty air before. No big deal. Just annoying as hell.  I remember too well the nasty air while painting the boilers in my first ship on my first trip to sea, being unable to breathe deeper than halfway because of the coughing fits.  Funny how we laughed it off, being young and 8 foot 12 and bulletproof at the time, inside our minds at least. 

Today, more of the same, looks like. BUT, we are between cargoes and at anchor. The air is currently a foggy white although there is no fog, viz is about 1.5 miles.  And my ass is staying indoors as much as is practical. 


        With 2 weeks to go on this trip and a pretty expensive trip to Brazil coming up (there is now a birthday party for my wife with 200 people invited on the itinerary), I was leaning towards staying a week longer and working some OT, but Inappropriately Hot Foreign Wife stamped her high heels and demanded I come home and spend my off time with her. I'd be a dumbass to refuse that. And I mean, I AM a dumbass, but not that dumb. 



She ages like fine wine. I age like dollar store milk.


I also realized at this point that my son will be coming back to work the day I come home, which means that we'll have the house to ourselves for 2 weeks and it's pool season, which means tan lines for her and SPF 2 million for me. 



 Screw the OT. I'm going home. 




1 comment:

Rob said...

Going home is a good choice if you asked me! I know you didn't ask but this is the internet :-)