Wednesday, February 13, 2019

back to it

Well, I'm back on board the HQ. Took a little doing to get here. Tuesday dawned beautiful- about 68 and sunny when I woke up just after sunup, and it was sunny and 75 all day... at home. Unfortunately, the weather at the HQ was ice and snow, so my flight got cancelled. In the end I stayed home an extra day, and flew in yesterday after several hours of delays.

 I was lucky enough to get rebooked on a before-noon flight. BUT, not so lucky in all things. I ended up in the middle seat, and it was a seriously bumpy flight. Pretty usual running up and down the eastern seaboard during wintertime. IT also being snowbird season, the average age of my fellow travellers on the completely full flight was 70-75.

 So, it definitely could have been worse. The poor old ladies on either side of me I'm sure were not thrilled to have my carcass between them. And the turbulence was pretty gnarly. After about 20 minutes in the air, and a lot of griping about the temperature being too cold, it started to smell like hot old people. Then... the nervous farting. There were old timers putt-putting all around. It would have been funny if it didn't smell like an open grave. Seriously, if I had that kind of power, I'd be kind of proud.

 The nice thing about flying with an older crowd is that there isn't a lot of fighting and people yelling back and forth. There was a lot of complaining, for sure, and it took FOREVER to get on and off the plane, but I kept the peace. One day I'll be hard-pressed to make good time getting on and off the plane too.  On the upside, it was yet another MIRACLE flight, one where 20+ people get wheeled onto the plane early in their chairs, and yet only 3-4 get wheeled off.  Hallelujah!

Anyways, I returned to the Land of Ice And Snow late, got to enjoy NY rush hour traffic, and I got a grand total of 45 minutes sleep before watch tonight, but I'm here in one piece and no more or less sane than usual, so mark it as a win, I guess.

No comments: