Sunday, May 17, 2009

seeing red

The captain of the tug that pushed us to Piney Point yesterday was making fun of me on the VHF radio today. I've gotten to know the officers of the tug 'Choptank' a little more now that we've had some tea time.
Yesterday was an absolutely lovely day. We finished loading up near Philadelphia, and spent about 20 hours en route to the southern Chesapeake. I spent about 5 hours on the bow and watched the world go by as we sailed through the C&D Canal (Chesapeake and Delaware). Along the way we passed by nature at its' mid-Atlantic best, and I saw some other boaters, as well, many of the semi-professional type that are tolerable to be around.
So, let me paint this picture- 5 hours, lightly overcast skies, warm weather, modest breezes... and yours truly, being of the more phosphorescent type of palely-complected man of Irish descent, well, you might guess that I'd be a little sunburnt, and you'd be right. Not only am I now so red that I glow in the dark, I had sunglasses on, so I look like a baboon's ass with a white stripe.
So it goes. In the meanwhile, this is my first time at this end of the Chesapeake, and it's pretty as hell. It's rainy again, which is a shame, and I'm going to be up all night tonight, but that's OK too. I'll be able to sleep tomorrow.

No comments: