Thursday, November 10, 2022

Light falls on Marble Head

  Sometimes the dumbs hit me hard. 


        I finished writing a comment elsewhere on complaints about safety standards on US ships... specifically that some government and the oldest of the old rotten merchant ships that the US allows to still trade are not required to have enclosed lifeboats.  Open lifeboats have a 0% chance of saving anybody in severe weather, which is when old rotten ships often get in trouble.  There's a Grandfather clause that allows cheap and immoral owners of old and superannuated ships to not invest in enclosed lifeboats which might save some crew on sinking ships in bad weather.  Enclosed lifeboats are required for everyone else, pretty much. It's a real dick punch to anyone who is guilted into working on old rotten American ships. 


 While I'm bitching from up on my soapbox, an email comes in saying that we now have to carry out a formal New Crew Safety Orientation on board the HQ from here forward, and there's a form to fill out... and me, hypocritical me, my first reaction is to roll my eyes. 

 Thankfully my second reaction was to read the form... and it's actually a really good idea. Anything that keeps fingers on hands, meat in the seats and increases the number of vertical mariners at off-going crew change is good... and common sense safety things, to me, are of greater value than pencil-whipped paper shielding for appearances' sake. Something as silly as '...and here is where the fuel shut off is in case you dont want to end up looking like a hot dog that fell through the grate in the grill'  is one of those obvious and helpful things to hear early on in your trip to sea. 




4 comments:

doubletrouble said...

Ooooh. Clicked on it quickly assuming this was about THE Marblehead, not YOUR marblehead…

Paul, Dammit! said...

I even pronounce it "mahblehead" in my head.

I just realized I've never been there. The north shore was always off the edge of my map, growing up on the south shore.

doubletrouble said...

Yours is the correct pronunciation. Lived in “The City of Sin” for a bit in my yute- Nahant Beach, & of course, Mahble Head. Still remember the smell at low tide on that long shallow beach…

Don McCollor said...

I think the best end of a safety briefing was "And don't do anything stupid!"