Saturday, March 5, 2022

Suddenly, class

 So I have to fly home tomorrow for a few days and then come back to work mid-week. Without being overly mysterious, I have to take a class that I've been putting off, and it's work-related, so... off I go. 


 Gonna be a bit of a marathon. I have to stand 9.5 hrs of my watch tomorrow, get to shore, get to the airport, fly out, rent a car (I'm flying back to work from an airport after class, too far from home to drive), go home, sleep 4-5 hours, then drive to class. I get Monday night at home, though, and that's cool. Tuesday it's back to class, then after class I head to the local airport and fly back to work. 

        Not a lot of time for sleep, but not much I can do about that. 

While we were loading cargo the other day, we had a SIRE (Ship Inspection Report Esomethingsomething) inspection. It's a safety managmement thing where a 3rd party looks up our skirt and under the rug. Along with the inspector were 2 guys from our local shore managment team, and I'm happy to say that we did very well. It was a bit of a zoo for a while there, as I was actively working with the shoreside cargo surveyor as we were doing the SIRE inspection, and the surveyor was running very late and was cranking out his own paperwork stream at the same time.  Hectic day, but in the same way that it goes, like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer, it just feels so good to stop. So when everyone was gone I had a nice 15 minutes of quiet before we actually started loading. Very zen. 

 The discharge, though... it was unpleasant. So it goes.  We are loading tonight for tomorrow's marathon day. I'll get us started before handing off the watch and getting as much sleep as possible. 

So it goes. 


No comments: