Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Oh Captain My Captain

"Stop! Look around! Today is a beautiful day and it is never going to come again!"


     It took a couple of years before I grew to understand when he said this to me, on days when the weather was poor, that he was right.  

    My dad gave me the love of the ocean, and of ships and science. The Old Man taught me how to catch lobsters, and how to steer a boat. D taught me how to make my living from the sea, starting with cutting classes twice a week, with the connivance of my teachers, his coworkers, to go fishing with him.



 DOHERTY, William.
   Seize The Day! If you're reading this, I am dead and you're not. William Doherty of Weymouth died November 1, 2019, with family beside him including his wife of 52 years, Dorothy Kamison Doherty. With apologies to Dylan Thomas, I have raged, raged against the dying of the light, but now it is time to go gentle into that good night.

 https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/william-doherty-obituary?pid=194345549






 God Bless and keep you, D. Thank you so much. I will miss you.  

1 comment:

Glenn555 said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My Dad, a WW 2 Navy vet, died in 73. I still miss him. He was a good man too.