With special thanks to Inappropriately Hot Foreign wife, for putting up with my many questions regarding why it took me 10 tries to get this recipe right. Not following directions seemed to be the issue. This dish is served over white rice.
- 2-4 pounds of chicke, boneless or deboned
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can creme de leite (found in the hispanic food section of your store
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 can of hearts-of-palm (found in the hispanic food section again), sliced
- olive oil
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground mustard seed
1). cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. put in bowl and mix with garlic, Worstershire sauce, nutmeg, half the onion, and salt.
2). saute remaining onion in oil. Add chicken and mustard seed, and brown the chicken. Add tomato sauce.
3). When chicken is browned, add creme de leite. Cook under med heat for 2-3 mins. and mix well. Add heart of palm and very gently cover the pieces with the sauce and chicken. Turn off heat and allow to cool for 5 mins.
4). Serve over white rice. At home, I like to drink a Caiperinha with this, but seeing as it's got enough alcohol to put the space shuttle into orbit, I don't get to do that while I'm at work.