Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Back to it

I had an amazing two weeks at home. I spent the first week with Inappropriately Hot Foreign Wife in Ashe County, NC, where we rented a remote isolated cabin and spent a few days just enjoying each other's company and wandering around.    The second week was more routine at home, but full of good times. 

But back at it today, and on arrival, before I was even out of my street clothes, I was climbing over a dead generator. Serpentine belt let go. Replacing it is annoying, but not difficult. It's one of those things where I have to remove parts in order to get at certain nuts to remove other parts. Engineering like that makes me weep, as I am neither a confident nor knowledgeable mechanic, so tearing apart half of the radiator in order to remove one section of safety shroud has me clenching fabric and chewing a hole in my underwear with my butthole. 
   And worse when I discovered that the replacement belt is the wrong size.  We went from some NAPA clone belt to what looks like a Chinesium grade belt, so I couldn't match part numbers anyhow, but as we have only one type of serpentine belt for our gensets, I thought it was a correct replacement. 

 Anyhow, turns out, we don't have the right belt. And now I need new jeans because I am institutionally unable to not get covered in shit or grease when there is shit or grease within eyesight. 

 Ah well. Welcome back, and here's an extra set of work pants for the month. 

1 comment:

Will said...

My go-to grease remover for clothing is GOOP. Available at various auto parts stores, Walmart, etc. Rub it into the stain (I use the back of a spoon to mush it in), let sit for ~20 minutes, toss into the washer. It leaves a minor chem odor, so running the washer a second time with your normal soap gets rid of that. When I first discovered it's clothes usefulness, I hit all the stains on my denim pants, most having been washed and dried maybe dozens of cycles. Removed them all. The only petroleum stain it can't totally remove is diesel crankcase oil. There will be a speckled field of small black dots that never come out.
Comes in 1 lb tubs, or the big tub, maybe 7lbs? The big tub is designed for a wall mount dispenser for hand cleaning (which is what the soap is intended for). This is NOT [Gojo].