Thursday, January 26, 2017

Progress on the little boat



Well,  work on the little boat continued my last few days at home.


 Overall beer consumption stayed about flat during my time off. Whiskey and Cachaca consumption declined considerably, which was sort of what got me interested in building it in the first place. The less weight I gain at home, the better I feel at work, although I confess I barely got out on my bicycle this time off. I did find a new place to ride closer to home, and quiet too, so I don't have to feel too ridiculous.

initial sanding and shaping. Some flat spots, which will be faired later.


laying out fiberglass cloth
Once the fiberglass cured, I started sanding and shaping. Again.
Alt view before sanding and fairing

Sanded and faired to about 90% finish. After a final fairing, 3-4 coats of epoxy will be brushed on after priming. Painting will happen after the decks and bulwards are laid in properly. 



3 comments:

Bob said...

I was thinking if I lived in the Keys or somewhere on the coast with access to the ICW I'd purchase a skiff and rig her with old-fashioned oars in addition to a small outboard kicker. Use the oars for exercise, and take the boat fishing, crabbing, oystering and even small-scale shrimping, using a thrown net. Robert Ruark described such a life in his boyhood in NC in the classic coming-of-age book The Old Man and the Boy. There's no real reason one couldn't live such a life still.

And it would probably be wonderful exercise.

Paul, Dammit! said...

It does sound nice. My section of the ICW is very close, but it's developed on all sides.


It does sound fantastic. I have the plans for a 9 and 12 ft dory, and skiffs from 12-19'. No trailer, though. My community does not allow trailers or pickup trucks.

Yeah, I know. But it's wicked, wicked nice.

Paul, Dammit! said...

It does sound nice. My section of the ICW is very close, but it's developed on all sides.


It does sound fantastic. I have the plans for a 9 and 12 ft dory, and skiffs from 12-19'. No trailer, though. My community does not allow trailers or pickup trucks.

Yeah, I know. But it's wicked, wicked nice.