Saturday, February 13, 2010

Get grubbed

Being a creature of habit, I tend to buy the same basic items whenever I shop for grub (groceries, to you) for work.

Harbor whoring, which is a charming term meaning 'staying local' (but pronounced 'habah hoain,"), allows for the potential for several occasions to get to the grocery store, in theory. In actuality, this hasn't panned out for me, so I tend to pack heavy when I come aboard for work, bringing 2 weeks of goodies with me. I consistently seem to buy the same items about 90% of the time.

To wit:

Diet Pepsi- 6 12-packs. (Continuing on with my love affair with Diet pepsi, I shamelessly admit to being hooked. Can't stomach coffee, so I get my caffeine from diet soda, and if anyone comments, I tell them that I have to I drink too much soda, or I start killing hookers. This usually works to keep critiques to a minimum.

Chicken- 6 breasts, 1 package of 'pahts', 1 6-pack of frozen patties
beef: 1 lb hamburger, 2 steaks.
Sausage: one package blood pudding, one package Kielbasa,maybe some Italian sausage.
Bacon: 1 slab (about 2lbs) side, unsliced.
One lean ham steak.

1 doz eggs
1 bag onions
5 lb potatoes
1 lb carrots
1 package celery
4 peppers
4 tomatoes
2 med. zucchini
2 cucumbers
1 bag baby spinach
1 head of lettuce
5lb bag of rice
3 loaves of bread
10 misc cans of soup, canned veggies
1 sm. bag of goldfish crackers
1 box of pasta
2 cans of tomato sauce
1 lg can of hearts-of-palm
4 cans of tuna
1 sm jar of fat-free mayo
bread flour
2 frozen pie crusts
1 lb plain oatmeal
1 box granola bars
1 box of cornbread mix


... and that's about it. With the diet pepsi, we're probably talking about 50lbs of food, but realistically, I eat pretty healthy, for a fat guy. In my defense, I'm overweight because I eat my own cooking and trade food for sleep too often, not 'cus I'm lazy. Oh, and I drink beer and scotch when I'm home. That shits not good for the body, though it's like poetry for the soul.

1 comment:

Bill Elms said...

poetry for the soul. love it.