Friday, March 31, 2023

Me, I'm fine.

A lot of hurting people out there this week. 


 Me? I'm fine. Doing well. In my more selfish moments I'm whining because I volunteered to go back to work a week early and so I only get a week with my family. But we know how to pack a lot of good living in a week- it's been a minute but we've had practice. And I'm grateful for the time, however short of long, with my family. 


 Other people I care about are having a bad time. My brother's ex dropped dead a few days ago, age 50-51. Heart gave out. They had a complex relationship but a good son out of it, my nephew, who is now a 17-year old boy who just lost his mom.  Generally he lives with my brother here in Florida, but he went up north to finish his last 2 years of high school at our old hometown's vo-tech school, which had an IT program that no high school in FL could match, and gave him a chance to have a nice relationship with his mom. I suppose I'm grateful that he got 7 good months with her but Lord knows what happens now. 


 A very close friend is mourning the end of his marriage, having decided to pull the plug after a number of years and kids who reached adulthood. 

    Seeing people you love in pain is awful. I feel a little bad that I had bitched to them in recent months about little things like having no time at home. Had I but known what was in store for them... 

 Anyways, my wife is back from the sore. I'm going to go get a hug I think.


4 comments:

John said...

I am so sorry to hear about the tragedies your loved ones are facing.

Rob said...

Life is short.

JP said...

Hey Paul:
Been following your blog for years. My dad was a Captain with American Export Isbrantsen lines back in the day. Wanted to follow in the footsteps but American shipping is close to non-existent as you are well aware. Love your writing. Very impressive, keep it up.
JP

Paul, Dammit! said...

Thanks for reading, JP. And I can only say I'm sorry- both that you couldn't follow in your dad's footsteps as you might have wanted, and also for having to read the low quality stuff I write, lol.