Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Truth and consequences

As some of you know, my wife doesn't read my blog. That's a good thing. First off, she hates the ocean, and is ambivalent about my career choices. Sometimes she fancies me throwing it to the wind and going back to being a working class marine biologist, just for the bragging rights. Then I remind her that my background was in dealing with seafood and farmed fish, which implies a return to commercial fishing or fish farming, neither or which is a lucrative endeavor for a scientist who has no P.hD.

Quickly, the subject gets changed. She's pragmatic.


Anyhow, she doesn't read my blog. All things being equal, she doesn't want to know about the not-so-awesome moments, and I don't want her to worry about me. It seems like I am having less not-so-awesome moments these days anyhow, which is wholly positive, if a mite dull.

I did mention that I put her picture up when I caught her about to yell at me last week. Ironically, where, in the original picture, I ended up getting a polite lecture about staying the hell out of her kitchen while she was cooking, after she looked at my earlier entry here -with-photo, I actually did get yelled at, I think. It wasn't in English, and was too fast for me to translate. I did catch the word for "pain in the ass' a couple of times, though.

And she says that now she is definitely going to whip a napkin holder at my head.

So, just in case you're actually still reading, here's something I've been working on. The more I look back, the more I see what a champ my old ship was, especially considering we were playing tag with a hurricane in the video part of it...

DISCLAIMER: The photo taken on the cargo deck was taken while the ship was in a 'gas free' state by someone else. We're not going to risk blowing up a ship with a goddamn camera. Other exterior photos taken from safe areas were taken with a mechanical camera that had no flash. Just bein' safe.




No comments: