Monday, November 17, 2008

unkind words were said

...by me tonight when we were tying up the ship. Note to readers: I am part of a team, not its' leader. No place really for me to fuss. But I did, when the 3 linehandlers pulling 3/4 cable of mooring line to the bitt (450 ft) took forever, literally because one guy was working, and two guys were warming their thumbs.
...and again when the AB on one of our docking tugs didn't want to throw his heaving line up to us, so he untied it from his towing hawser and motioned for us to throw one to him...
...and again when the guy on the shore crane lowering their gangway ignored my watch partner's hand signals and took 15 minutes (literally) to perform a 90-second evolution.

The off-watch 3rd mate, who came out to help, summed it up perfectly as he walked by without breaking stride:

Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug.


Too bad, too, 'cus it was a very nice ride from NYC to the Delaware capes and almost 100 miles up the Delaware river. Nice weather, I was able to get an almost-full rest cycle off just as I was getting cranky from not-quite-enough sleep.
Really was a lovely day. The day after a spell of rotten weather is always nice. It's like being hit in the head repeatedly with a hammer: It feels so good when it stops.

5 comments:

Bill Elms said...

In those situations what works for me is calling the offending person stupid or an idiot or a dolt and then laughing uncontrollably while pointing at them. That usually gets the point across and releaves frustrations. Be good man and thanks for all the advice and good words you've sent my way as of late. They've helped and are very much appreciated!

Eric O. said...

It could be worse. You could be on the Gulf of Aden route.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/africa/articles/2008/11/19/indian_navy_sinks_suspected_pirate_mother_ship/

I just keep thinking of the book you lent me a while back: Dangerous Waters: Modern Piracy and Terror on the High Seas. Scary shit and it appears to be getting worse.

Eric O. said...

Link got cut off. Balls!

http://www.boston.com/news/world/
africa/articles/2008/11/19/
indian_navy_sinks_suspected_
pirate_mother_ship/

Paul, Dammit! said...

Happily, I've never been near the Gulf of Aden or the Malacca Straits.

Check out Kennebec Captain, who runs through there regularly.

Rich said...

Come on - you know from your tug experience that it's easier to throw the heaving line down, than up. Although, if my recollection is correct, New River doesn'y have the highest freeboard.......